Which Web Hosting Service Do I Need?
Posted on Thursday, May 11th, 2017
What is it? What is the purpose of it? Which type should I be using? These mind boggling questions on Web Hosting are all answered in the blog.
So, What Is It?
When you buy a domain for your website (e.g. www.pushbeyond.co.uk) you must buy a web hosting service alongside it to host the domain. Once it has been hosted, you can then start to create your website.
The Purpose of Web Hosting
- Web Hosters will provide the technology to maintain your website.
- Can offer disk space to allow your website to connect to the internet.
- Keeps your website online as well as secure user’s data.
Types of Web Hosting
A pro of Web Hosting is that there are a variety of options to choose from. For example, a majority of the time blogging services offer free hosting.
- Free web hosting: has limited disk space, limited control over your site, domain name not included, usually has ads
- Shared web hosting: most common type, a reasonable price (around £4-£10/month), users share resources to make it more cost effective, attacks from data theft
- Reseller web hosting: for people who want to sell web hosting services to others, you can sell hosting to local businesses or an online sign up form.
- Dedicated web hosting: allows the most control over your website, most expensive type, mainly for larger businesses or people with many sites.
Web Hosting Sizes
Web Hosting comes in all shapes and sizes. Depending on your requirements, you may only need a small sized hosting service.
- Small – for those who only have a handful of clients
- Medium – a majority are somewhere in the middle for those who host a larger amount
- Large – can host millions of domains and websites
Which one should I choose?
With all this information, you now need to understand your exact requirements. Remember to consider the following points when it comes to web hosting:
- The type of website you’re building
- If you require special software
- The volume of traffic you expect
- Are you hosting multiple websites from one account?
- The amount of security you need
- Do you need a dedicated IP address?
- The speed of your hosting server
- The access you need to your root server
- Installation of your own software needed
Once you have all these points considered, then you can start. Push Beyond can cover all these points with you and suggest the best hosting option for you, so you don’t even have to think about it.